It is our belief that students who interact positively within their community will not only benefit their community, but also gain leadership and citizenship skills. To encourage and reward volunteerism and community service, the Silver Cord Service Program will recognize students each year who have made significant contributions to the community through their service.
Seniors who have completed 100 hours during their four years at Nevada will be awarded a silver service cord at graduation and be recognized at the Awards Day Assembly and graduation exercises. For the hours to be counted,
- Students need to submit a form noting their service activities to a committee for review prior to the service project unless the project has been pre-approved by the committee.
- Each time a student completes a project, the student must have a supervisor sign a form noting the hours worked. This form will be turned in to the office to be logged. Completed forms should be turned in to the office within 30 days of the project. A log of student completion of “approved service activities” will be maintained for students in the office.
- Hours can be retroactively approved per the discretion of the committee. A committee will review activities periodically to determine what constitutes “approved” community service.
- Hours will not be counted if the student or organization the student belongs to receives financial or other compensation. This includes revenue from direct sales, fundraisers or donations. An exception is if the school organization donates the profits (less expenses) to charity.
- Students must participate in more than one service project. Students can receive a maximum of 25 hours per project over the course of the four years.
- Transfer students’ hours will be pro-rated and determined by their start at Nevada High School.
- Any questions as to the approval of service hours will be referred to the oversight committee that will render a final decision about any issues.
We will begin the Silver Cord recognition during the 2015-2016 school year. We will phase in the recognition as follows:
Seniors- 40 hours of service
Juniors- 60 hours of service
Sophomores- 80 hours of service
Freshmen- 100 hours of service
For the application to join the Silver Cord Service Program, please download it below.